BEST Ljubljana is organising the biggest Slovenian engineering competition for the 12th time in a row – EBEC MacGyver 12.1.
During the competition, 80 students from the University of Ljubljana are going to use their engineering, organisation and presentation abilities in order to win in their categories. Like all other years, MacGyver is divided into Case Study and Team Design. The winners of both categories travel to the Regional Round of EBEC, EBEC Alpe-Adria.
At the same time, MacGyver is a great opportunity to connect with companies because they are the ones who give the tasks. Usually, the task focuses on a current issue the company faces. That gives the opportunity for the participants to show their problem-solving skills on a real-life problem and get a job interview at one of our partners like many participants before.
The applications for the competition will open soon. The team leader will then get the pre-task which competitors need to solve and send their solution before the applications close.
TEAM DESIGN – 19. 12. 2020
Team Design requires practical knowledge from the participants as they need to use their engineering knowledge to solve the task. In the local competition, they have 8 hours to create a working device. Besides practical knowledge, their creativity, resourcefulness, ingenuity and their ability to work in a team are at test. To win the competition and qualify for the Regional and Final Round they need to present their device in English.
Past years examples:
- A “robotic” arm – competitors made an arm extension from basic materials, that had to be mechanically controlled. The criteria were that it had to lift different objects like sheets of paper, a bottle of water and a paperclip.
- A car headlight – competitors made a car headlight from limited materials. The jury tested where the light is directed and its intensity. (Task was provided by HELLA Saturnus)
- Automatic end-of-production product folding – competitors made a device which automatically folded slices of insulation on the palettes. (Task was provided by Knauf Insulation)
- A catapult – competitors made a catapult with time delay and good target accuracy.
- An elevator – competitors made an elevator which after triggering waits for 5 seconds and then lifts a clay ball as high as possible and puts it back on the ground safely.
CASE STUDY – 20. 12. 2020
Case Study is a theoretical task. Competitors need to solve a technical and/or organisational problem or a company’s real situation from the business world. The teams have 4 hours to solve each theoretical task. The goal is an optimal and rational solution which needs to be presented at the end. Besides innovative solutions cooperation, team dynamics skills are expected. Rhetorical skills are also wanted. Good presentation in English is a condition to win and progress to the Regional and Final Round.
Past years examples:
- Preventing car doors from hitting objects and people by using advanced sensors and innovative technologies. (Task was provided by TPV Group)
- Melt casting optimisation – competitors presented the pawnbroker system for melt casting. The problem was the efficiency of continuous rolling of sheet metal. (Task was provided by SIJ Acroni)
- Reduction of environmentally harmful gases – how to reduce environmentally harmful gases because of coke as a fuel for rock melting. (Task was provided by Knauf Insulation)
- Valve efficiency check – competitors had to find the best way to detect valve leaking. (Danfoss)
- The most efficient day distribution of electrical energy (ELES)
MacGyver is a Local Round of the biggest European engineering competition: EBEC (European BEST Engineering Competition). Competitors first compete in the Local Round in EBEC Ljubljana, winners progress to the regional competition, EBEC Alpe-Adria. Winners of the Regional Round progress to the EBEC Final.